Saturday, May 05, 2007

Burning Madesh

I think, we are getting wrong from the very basic. I dont agree the Madhesias being discriminated. It is the normal nepali being discriminated in Nepal. It is all due to feudalism that existed for years.

Nepal was a good place for the Ranas, Shahs, Pandays and Thapas, who had their representation in the government till Rana rule existed. After that Koiralas came and so do Adhikaris etc.. by virtue they all belong to Pahade Brahmin and Chettriyas. (Not everybody in these castes also benefitted)

I have never received any special treatment from our government or the non-government bodies, may be because I did not have strong jack in the power posts. So do many of my Pahade Brahnmin friends. We struggled our course and whatever we are today, it is just because of our hard work.

I seriously feel, Nepali politicians to be very intelligent people. They find one or the other ways to inflate people and have one or more revolution in every ten years. But these people are neither serious of the actual problem nor they get fully successful. Neither was Rana rule completely wiped out in 2007, nor was democracy fully established in 2046. Even now I fear whether we will be able to establish a Democratic Republic Nepal. This is a dream, a distant dream.

When someone talk about being humilated by people calling them Madhesi, I remember myself being irritated when someone call Khatha. Rais and Limbus are often called Chepte. Gurung are called Bhede and Newars are called Pate. It is actually not about these words. The reality is we have been left behind economically. We are poor. It is a reality, we all must realise this. We all Nepalis are poor, we have hardly any identity in the world other than being from the himalayan country or from place of Gautam Buddha. We have done nothing in the last 100 years and we take our frustrations to the street in various names, sometime democratic struggle, sometime Republic struggle, sometime social equality struggle and sometime anti-struggle movement.

Shame to all of us Nepalis. Hope things change in future.

Jai Nepal

1 Comment:

Bibek Paudel said...

perfect !
Nepal might have had democracy in one form or the other, but always in name. What we never cultivated is the culture of democracy. The people never had the power.
I feel sick every time I read a couple of editorials in some of Nepalese news magazines these days, even the highly rated ones. Even before the conflict in Terai started, youths of my generation had gone through some deep soul searching. Is it only the Madesh ? And has Nepal always been about the Pahade brahmin/Chhetris ? I agree with the writer when he says he never got any special preference because of his supposed upper caste status. True, I may not have been discriminated as badly as others might have been, but then the state was never about as close to me the self appointed advocates of the communal politics claim to be. My country was never as "mine" as they claim.

If we divert from the main issues and continue politicizing everything that comes our way, we are only delaying real progress. I fear this way, my country will never be "mine". Not only for me, for most of my generation.

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks